Accessibility to Flu Vaccine
The ISG is in favour of expanding access to influenza vaccination for those adults not covered by the Australian Government's free vaccine policy, including in establishments other than doctor's surgeries.
The ISG is in favour of expanding access to influenza vaccination for those adults not covered by the Australian Government’s free vaccine policy, including in establishments other than doctors’ surgeries (ie. workplaces, pharmacies, schools, universities etc.) provided that:
- A certified immuniser carries out the vaccination.
- The facilities, procedures and contingency requirements for dealing with and notifying any adverse events are adequate as required by state and territory authorities.
- The recipient is advised of their potential entitlement to free vaccine under the Australian Government program.
- The recipient is issued a record of the vaccination for provision to their general practitioner and other health care providers.
The ISG recognises a need for:
- An Australian national training and accreditation program for nurses and any others who may give immunisation.
- A whole of life vaccination register.
Opinions expressed in this ISG statement represent the view of the ISG board but do not necessarily represent the views of every member.
Page published: January 2014
Last reviewed: 7 October 2015